Author Topic: Matthew's 33 Ford Hot Rod  (Read 40245 times)

Matthew

• Administrator
Matthew's 33 Ford Hot Rod
« on: September 25, 2012, 06:58:53 PM »
Yesterday the first part of my new winter project arrived on my shop floor. A few of you are in the know on this project, but for the rest of you I challenge you to guess what I am up to ...

-Matthew
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:28:35 PM by Matthew »

crzyhrs

• - Brent
    • some pics...
Re: Matthew's Winter Project
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 07:11:48 PM »
Looks to be maybe an 8.8 out of a late 80's early 90's Lincoln or maybe a Tbird, something with anti-lock brakes.
Project- you bought another fox and are doing a coyote swap twin turbo street car and are beefing up the rearend and adding rear discs.
-92LX, 306, Procharger, TFS heads/intake, X303, 4.10's, Tremec TKO-600
-2012 F150 FX4 (ecoboost)
-2013 Explorer Sport (ecoboost)

Enjay

• Autowrath
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 11:06:36 PM »
This is gonna be awesome!   8)
WMS 408 Engine Swap
'88 Mustang GT Widebody (Autowrath MkIII)
'08 Escape V6 4WD
'11 Ranger FX4 Offroad

Matthew

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 07:29:59 PM »
Here's another hint:

A new Coyote Aluminator shipped from Ford Racing for me today.

The rear end is from a 95 Mustang GT.

-Matthew

crzyhrs

• - Brent
    • some pics...
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 08:31:51 AM »
So I got the Coyote part....but its not going in a Fox...what about the twin turbo?

Is this engine going in an AC Shelby Cobra kit car (seen this swap on tv comparing race times to the original car - pretty cool)

Brent
-92LX, 306, Procharger, TFS heads/intake, X303, 4.10's, Tremec TKO-600
-2012 F150 FX4 (ecoboost)
-2013 Explorer Sport (ecoboost)

fearlane66

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:32:59 AM »
Hey Mathew its cam,
Any idea on what color is going on her yet?

Matthew

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 04:44:31 PM »
The axle is for my now ordered Factory Five 33 Hot Rod kit. It's going to have Coyote Aluminator power, a T56 magnum, 4.10's, a Torsen style (Detroit Trutrac) differential, 3 link suspension and a hardtop.

I have the rear end gutted and Chris welded up the axle tubes yesterday for me. Next on the agenda is to cut the ends off and have 9" style housing ends welded on. At least I will have something to tinker with while I am waiting for the rest of the stuff to show up.

-Matthew

rummer

• Painted Pony
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 05:13:06 PM »
The axle is for my now ordered Factory Five 33 Hot Rod kit. It's going to have Coyote Aluminator power, a T56 magnum, 4.10's, a Torsen style (Detroit Trutrac) differential, 3 link suspension and a hardtop.

I have the rear end gutted and Chris welded up the axle tubes yesterday for me. Next on the agenda is to cut the ends off and have 9" style housing ends welded on. At least I will have something to tinker with while I am waiting for the rest of the stuff to show up.

-Matthew
This is going to be a sweet machine. It's nice to see that Ford is making it much easier for Ford engines ( with a great line up of crate motors) to go into Ford projects. Saw a very nice VINTAGE Ford p/u with what looked to be a 5.0 ( 2 valve) under the hood at radium. It sounds like you've got a fun winter ahead!

Enjay

• Autowrath
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
Gonna be fun to see this being built for sure.  Have to stop by with some Tim Hortons and peek in on you.  I'm guessing it's going to be painted "your color"?  How long do you figure it'll be before the kit arrives?
WMS 408 Engine Swap
'88 Mustang GT Widebody (Autowrath MkIII)
'08 Escape V6 4WD
'11 Ranger FX4 Offroad

Matthew

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 11:15:49 PM »
The housing is disassembled and Chris welded the axle tubes to the center section, which seems easy but since it is mild steel to cast iron it's actually a challenging job. The welds are fantastic as always with Chris.

Now the housing is at Trailmaster getting the 9" style Moser housing ends installed.

Interestingly there seems to be some dispute regarding the width of a fox housing. This housing is from a 95 Mustang and measured 54 1/8" from the outboard edges of the flanges. Many sources say that the fox housings measure 52.25" flange to flange, and most sources say that the housing is the same up to 1998, then got wider in 99. Kent measured his real fox housing and it also looked like 54" flange to flange. After all of this, I can only conclude that the real measurement of a fox housing is 54" and that the 94/95 housings are definitely the same as the earlier fox housings.

In any event, this one will soon be 54" wide with 9" style small bearing housing ends, 31 spline axles, a detroit trutrac (Torsen style) differential, and 4.10 gears.

-Matthew

fearlane66

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 01:18:03 AM »
Are you running the fenders?
I was just thinking that might limit you on wheel size if you wanted to go crazy wide?
And that would look pretty damn good in mystichrome if that's what your referring to enjay.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:44:44 AM by fearlane66 »

Matthew

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 07:26:29 AM »
My color is Red. Virtually everything I have automotive-wise is red with two special exceptions which are the Mystichrome Terminator (a color I truly do love), and my silver fox which I bought all those years ago because it was straight and clean, not because it was a color I particularly loved. I'm open to suggestions on color, but my default plan is to paint this car red, something similar to the Red Candy Clearcoat on my 2011 5.0 Convertible. Maybe with a little pearl in the clear. I know black is a traditional color for these cars, but I am really NOT a black car guy and it is just too hard to keep clean, especially for a car that has racing as its primary duty.

By the way, the episode of Car Warriors where they build two of these cars is on again tonight on Speed Channel. 6 PM if I am not mistaken. I'm sure I can have this one built all by myself in around 48 hours too ... :)

-Matthew

Matthew

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 07:29:43 AM »
By the way, I am going to put on the Bike Fenders. I think you can go pretty big tire wise with those. I like the look without fenders, but its hard on paint, throws rocks in your face, and its also illegal in Alberta. The Bike Fenders can be removed too to change the look of the car for shows if necessary.

I am still thinking about the wheels and tires though I have been actively discussing the tire choices with a few guys. I think I will probably end up with about three sets of tires for it for different applications.

-Matthew

fearlane66

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 10:52:40 AM »
I agree, i think the 33 looks great in red too, and also looks super slick with the fenders on it in red. If it was me i would have it in the same red as the pic below and throw on some deep dish fr500s with black centers and chrome lip. I just love the way this car looks, all the subtle changes give it a really custom and mean look.

Matthew

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 07:47:51 PM »
I'm kind of thinking of something like Torque Thrust II's in polished or chrome, but I think I need to get working on the car and think about the wheels while I am looking at it.

A bunch of my parts shipped from North Carolina today, so things are starting to come together. I should have some boxes to look at in a week or so.

-Matthew