Author Topic: 89 Fox Hatch build  (Read 178 times)

DC

89 Fox Hatch build
« on: May 25, 2017, 12:12:22 PM »
I am doing a build on my 89 Fox Hatch 5.0 (purchased new Oct 31 1989).  I am building it as a resto mod and have completed the resto portion of the build and am starting the mod portion.  For the mod I have removed the old pushrod 5.0 and all associated hardware and am preparing to install the new 5.0 mod motor.  First step is the installation of the hydraboost brake booster.  I have removed the old vacuum booster and after reading multiple postings on other Mustang forums about the best way to make the new (2003 cobra) unit work with the stock fox brake pedal I decided to move the position of the pin up by 1 inch.  I had pedal box from a 04 mustang hoping that I could use the brake pedal from that vehicle and make it work on the fox but the booster pin was actually located below the stock location of the fox pedal.  The hydroboost unit needs the pedal pin to  be located higher than the stock fox pin.  I was to remove the pin from then04 unit (much grinding)  and drilled a hole about 1 inch above the fox pin the weld the new pin in place.  I only have 1 photo of this,  I am  now preparing to reinstall the pedal box into the car I need more hands for that so next step will have to wait.
89 LX 5.0 sport

Matthew

• Administrator
Re: 89 Fox Hatch build
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 08:08:54 AM »
Fun project. I am assuming this is a Coyote, not a stroker 3V or 4V mod motor right?

-Matthew

DC

Re: 89 Fox Hatch build
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 05:20:07 PM »
I am using a new 2015+ 5.0 mod motor.  I know you have had some experience with this motor with your factory 5 '33 hot rod build.  I have been having some difficulty taking this engine off the crate and suspending it on the hoist.  I had lift brackets made to fit the holes on the engine (side of right head and back of the left) and have been unable to balance it. I jury rigged this arrangement with chains on the exhaust studs and a 2x4 spreader.  Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated.  I am going to be using BBK long tube headers with a 3 inch exhaust, and a custom intake setup from western motorsports.  I would like to know if this setup is going to need a custom tune to or if the stock ford control pack tune will suffice?
89 LX 5.0 sport